This week’s correction at the studio class was regarding hair. “Hair should be in a bun and not a ponytail. It is too distracting when it swooshes around.” Interesting because the dress code for the studio class is more laid back than the college class. I’m the only person wearing a leotard and tights. That was the only correction I received for the whole class – which is kind of disappointing. I know there was a lot more I could have done better, but only that one comment on hair. I understand that it is a fine balance for the teacher. How much do you correct in the recreational adult classes? Over do it and some people could find it too discouraging or embarrassing and will stop showing up. Not enough and students feel like they are not taken seriously. Our teacher made the comment that we should use the mirror and be our own harshest critic, but that only works when we’re in the center because it’s hard to even see the mirror while standing at the barre let alone correct oneself.
Older Wiser Posts
- March Madness: wp.me/p1lAQm-26 7 years ago
- Book Learning - 1st Review: wp.me/p1lAQm-1X 7 years ago
- Must go the bathroom before each class. not a problem if it didn't require stripping off all clothing due to mechanics of tights & leotard 7 years ago
- Started adding some meat to my class journal. https://balletnerd.wordpress.com/tech-specs/march-2011/ 7 years ago
- While tanning, realized I was in a nicely turned out 2nd position. Sweet. So to improve turnout, just stay wedged in a tanning bed. 7 years ago